PDP-11/70 Boards

wrcooke at wrcooke.net wrcooke at wrcooke.net
Wed Dec 8 16:22:38 CST 2021

> On 12/08/2021 3:58 PM Rob Jarratt via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> So, to supply the bricks on the bench, would a variac rated at 2.5A be OK? I am not sure I know how much current the bricks will draw at 20VAC, and at what voltage the 2.5A rating is given. Otherwise, would this do the trick? https://cpc.farnell.com/block/steu250-48/transformer-250va-230-400v-2-x/dp/TF01418?st=24v%20transformer
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob
>

> > > JRJ

As a general rule, a variable transformer (Variac) can provide full rated current at any output voltage.  So a 2.5A unit can provide 2.5 A at 1V, 10V, 120V, etc.  With a 20V output, that is 50 VA (Watts, sort of).

Will

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
Richard Feynman