Datapoint 2200 on ebay

osi.superboard osi.superboard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 15:38:56 CST 2021

In my opinion, the Datapoint 2200 on ebay seems to be a 1100 Cassette
Terminal.

There are two theories

- It is a true 1108, as the silver machine label indicates. This 1100
versions showed up in 1974 as described by the LCFGROUP and have been a
variant to the 2200 with less memory , using most of the 2200 parts,
except the power supply at the back. This has been re-designed. The
Datapoint 2200 on ebay is most likely a 1100. But it has the 2200 logo
at the front, how can this be ? Ken Whitehead may have the answer for that:

StaTuesday 17th July 2012

Ken Whitehead (USA)
Other comments re: confusing the 1100/2200/5500/6600 may have arisen
from the fact that all of the enclosures for these models started life
with 2200 molded into the plastic bezel. The 1100, 5500 and 6600 models
had a separate logo that was applied over the existing 2200 logo. Since
double-stick foam tapes were used, over time the tape let loose and the
‘new’ logo fell off. We had a few customer complaints re: the instant
downgrading of their computers when this happened! Alas, we know that
for all of those that complained, many more didn’t, giving possible rise
to the confusion of what the machine actually was.

- My second theory is, it is one of the 1100 terminals, that have been
upgraded to a 2200, yes that was possible.

The Dataform_1100_Brochure_1974 says: System Expandability. The 1100
user need not fear an application outgrowing an 1100's capabi lit ies.
If additional data input locations are required, the 1100 can be
upgraded to a Datapoint 2200
DATASHARE System.

Seems this was offered along the introduction of the 1100, about 3 years
after market introduction of the 2200.With this upgrade came extra 8kb
more memory (2 more RAM boards) and a new front cover or removal of the
1100 logo plate ?

In any case it is not a Datapoint 2200 as advertised. A real 2200 looks
like this: http://datapoint.vintagecomputers.square7.ch/index.html

Anyone with another good explanation ?

Thomas

Sun Nov 28 13:27:20 CST 2021