HP-UX on 9000/200 series

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 22:09:46 CDT 2021

I have a couple of those CPU cards too, and they should fit a a 9826 or
9836 as well, but looking at the pictures of that CPU card as posted on
hpmuseum.net the part number of the processor on the card is a 12MHz
68000.  Since all the enhancements between 68000 and 68010 are internal
and they have identical pinouts, it would seem at some point HP started
putting 68010 processors on them. The ones I have with 68010 processors
came out of a 4972A which is a network trace tool that is built around
hardware similar to a 9920.  This processor card does have some memory
management hardware on it, but it seems odd that they would build a
processor with memory management and use a processor that cannot recover
from a page fault, however is they have a 68010 installed it can handle
page faults.  I don't know if this processor card can support 5.1 I
don't think I tried it when I first stumbled onto the diskette images, I
believe I only ever tried it on a 310 and found that it was hopelessly
slow, so I moved onto a 380 with maxed out memory and a later version of
HP-UX.  On the hpmuseum.net site they tried it on a 9817 and it did not
work, which may suggest it will also be an issue for these processor
cards with a 68010 on them.

Paul.