CWVG

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Aug 25 17:31:17 CDT 2021

On Wed, 25 Aug 2021, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> The early Micropolis 48 tpi drives (1015 Mod I) were spec-ed at 35 tracks.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.  Thank you.

> The 100 TPI models (mod II) were 77 tracks.

Yes.  I had forgotten that.   Thank you.

> Later drives included both 100 TPI and 96 TPI (e.g. 1115-5 and -6).
> For a 5.25" drive, a beast of one.  No wonder they quit making floppy
> drives.

My 35 track Micropolis drive outlasted every other drive (shugart SA400
had radial alignment issues, others had speed control, etc.) and the
machine itself.  The lead screw positioner was kinda slow, but so was the
spiral "record" of the SA400.

> Tandon was pretty sloppy with their labeling.  I've got a TM-100-4M
> that's identified as such on the body label, but the door latch handle
> has a "96 tpi" sticker.  Whatthehell, a bezel's a bezel, right?

So, that's TWO mislabels within a tiny sample.

> The 100 TPI models (mod II) were 77 tracks.
The first "1.2M" drive that I got was from a computer swap and was among
projects and prototypes.  It looked like a production model, with no
obvious board re-work nor jumper wires.  It had a 50 pin header, instead
of a 34 pin card edge connector!  I tested it, and it did go to 80 tracks,
but I heard that when IBM was developing the 1.2M drive, some at
Microsoft wondered whether IBM was re-introducing 8 inch drives!