Extremely CISC instructions

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Aug 25 16:08:18 CDT 2021

On Wed, 25 Aug 2021, ben via cctalk wrote:
> I suspect the standard says a byte is at least 7 bits.
> Thus 8 bit data is NOT PORTABLE.

I don't know from "the standard", but, K&R said that
an "int" could be whatever size was most convenient for the processor,
BUT, that an "int" could not be shorter than a "short", nor longer than a
"long"

Several of the early MS-DOS C compilers used a 16 bit "int" (defaulting to
2's complement signed), with an 8 bit "char", 8 bit "short" (although
sometimes 16 bit), and a 32 bit "long" (defaulting to 2's complement
signed).  Some later compilers made "int" 32 bit.