Ultrix-11

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 12:16:38 CDT 2021

> On Aug 25, 2021, at 12:04 PM, Douglas Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
> In the video on youtube and in my experience the screen formating codes seem to be incorrect.  You can see this in the video when a man page is brought up.  The bolding does not occur.  I get the same result after installing.  The same with vi, it doesn't work in the video and doesn't work after installation.  I've tried Teraterm, putty, xterm all with the same result.  Haven't tried an actual terminal yet.  What was your experience?

I have near zero PDP-11 Unix experience, but I remember one flavor (BSD 2.11 ?) which set the top bit in its alleged ASCII output, which of course would break any terminal expecting actual 8 bit coding.  In particular, code points in the range 128-159 have a very different meaning from those in the range 0-31, and a terminal correctly implementing ANSI controls (such as a VT220) would show this clearly.

You can tell SIMH to force the top bit to zero in terminal output; that will restore normal behavior with current terminals or terminal emulators.

No idea if that's the reason for the problem you were seeing, but it's a possibility that's easy to test.

	paul