Extremely CISC instructions

Todd Goodman tsg at bonedaddy.net
Wed Aug 25 11:27:05 CDT 2021

On 8/25/2021 11:49 AM, ben via cctalk wrote:
> [..SNIP..]
> C uses cheap tricks for speed. 8 bit bytes, 32 bit integers, taken
> from B. I have 21 bit CPU, with 3 7 bit bytes/word. Algol would have a
> PACK/UPACK function, and be fairly portable. C on the other hand a mess.
> Ok. I don't have 21 bit cpu, but I have this spare FPGA card ...

Nope, the standard doesn't specify those bit sizes.

Back in the 80s I was using the BBN C Machine with 10-bit bytes and
happily building from source I picked up on the newsgroups with little issue

> > world chose to standardize on C.
> More like the same 32 bit/ 8 bit bytes vanilla cpu, with push and pop
> on the stack. Can't have near/far pointers with some intel products
> so we need new standard for the non PDP/11 or VAX computers, and again
> and again...

No, the same standard works with different architectures.  Have you
looked into GCC in the past 20 years or so?