Archiving otrona attache disks

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Aug 24 15:07:47 CDT 2021

On Tue, 24 Aug 2021, Bill Degnan wrote:
> Fred,
> Just for the purpose of imaging the disks, is there any reason I cant treat
> these disks like any other 5 1/4" cpm 360k disk?
> Bill

Treat them just like any other 5.25" MFM CP/M disk.
IIRC, the 48TPI ones are 400K, with 512 bytes per sector, 10 sectors per
track.

The 96tpi ones are 800K, and should be treated like any other "Quad
Density" CP/M disk.

They also had a 96tpi MS-DOS format.  Same thing, but obviously, with an
MS-DOS, rather than CP/M file system.

For those who may not remember the Otrona Attache, it was smaller and
lighter than the other luggables.

They had an advertisement with a Charlie Chaplin look-alike, comparing
carrying it VS a 5150 (on a card table) down a broad set of stairs (in
front of a capitol building?).  IBM had been using the "Little Tramp" in
their advertising, and asserted OWNERSHIP of the Charlie Chaplin "Little
Tramp" character and image, and made them cease and desist.  I can't find
an image, nor even a mention, with GOOGLE.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com