Extremely CISC instructions

dave.g4ugm at gmail.com dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 12:04:36 CDT 2021

Hi Tom,
Well for me the VAX has some of the most interesting instructions, so the POLY instruction will evaluate a polynomial and EMOD will multiply and separate the integer and fractional parts.
I also find it interesting that some architectures will only allow the privilege state to be examined if you are in supervisor/privileged state which allows software virtualization.
The IBM 370 has this feature but the later machines so XA, 390, and the various flavours of "Z" do not. So the 370 hypervisors VM/370 and VM/SP do software virtualization
VM/XA, VM/ESA and zVM need to have the "SIE" instruction, Start Interpretive Execution which runs a virtual machine from microcode.
A similar feature exists in modern Intel/AMD chips which greatly improve the performance of hypervisors such as VMWARE, HyperV and VirtualBox
Dave
G4UGM