DEC UNIBUS and use of cassette

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Aug 22 08:56:40 CDT 2021

> On Aug 21, 2021, at 11:48 PM, Jay Jaeger via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> There were third party cassette systems, typically using some kind of digital cassette format, that you could hook up with a terminal.  One was made by Sykes that I played with once upon a time:
>
> http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/sykes/brochures/Sykes_3000_Cassete_Brochure.pdf

And of course some were built right into the terminal; the TI Silent 733 comes to mind.  That was around 1974.  My guess is that it was intended to replace paper tape that was a popular terminal capability at the time (on the Teletype 33 and 35).  Those things actually had an API of sorts; I remember playing with it a bit but it was never interesting enough to do serious work.  The fact that it was limited (by the comm line) to 30 cps was not a whole lot of motivation.

	paul