Ultrix-11

Peter Allan petermallan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 10:50:09 CDT 2021

I just installed Ultrix-11 3.1 using the ultrix31.tap file from
https://pdp-11.org.ru/files.pl?lang=en
which is the location from the comments in Stephen's Machine Room video on
YouTube that I think started this thread.

It installed just fine, but just like the video, I ran out of space on /usr.

How can I make a larger /usr partition? Is it possible to do this at
installation time? There did not seem to be an option for this. Can it be
done by using an additional disk? That would seem likely, but not what a
system manager back in the 70's or 80's would expect to need to do,
especially as there is a relatively large amount of space left to create
/user1.

I noted the options for installing software using soft links to other
locations. Was that the preferred method when installing additional
software?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Peter Allan