Ultrix-11

Dennis Grevenstein dennis.grevenstein at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 11:02:26 CDT 2021

> Am 17.08.2021 um 17:40 schrieb Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com>:
>
> Having looked at the sources to both and running diffs with tuhs, I can confirm this is the case. And ultrix-32 had different version numbers than ultrix-11. But the vax and mips versions shared the same sources as far as I can tell (though I don't know if it is common ancestor or operationally the same repo).

Ultrix-32 for RISC (=MIPS) was developed based on the VAX version,
which was also Ultrix-32. DEC dropped the „-32“ with Ultrix 4.
The DECstation 3100 came out in 1989. I don’t have sources for
Ultrix-32 version 3.X, but Ultrix versions 4.X just share sources.
It is clear that Ultrix/RISC added a few bits and pieces from MIPS,
but it’s nothing that would prevent a common source tree.
As far as I remember, the name „-32“ came from the first Ultrix
release, which was „32m“ version 1.0 or something like that. „32“
meaning 32bit VAX and „m“ meaning „MicroVAX“. A bunch of
RX50 floppy images from 1984 (or 85?) have been preserved, I think…
AFAIR the first Ultrix-32 only ran on the MicroVAX I.

Dennis