Help reading a 9 track tape

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Wed Aug 4 09:25:16 CDT 2021

James, I am located in Madison WI.  I would need to fire up my SCSI 9
Track drive (software on Linux) and test it as I have not used in a
couple of years, but I have done recovery of old tapes from this era
before, and have a primitive setup for "baking" tapes before trying to
read them.

Assuming my HP 9 track is still happy, I can produce AWS format tape
images, raw block files and extract individual files (translated into
ASCII if that is desirable).

I don't remember exactly the time period when tape coatings were such
that reading them without "baking" them is very risky - this might be
before that era - Al Kossow would probably know - so I'd likely "bake"
it first before trying to read it.

Given the name "IEBUPDTX" this tape was certainly intended to be used on
a 360 or 370, as you described below (IBM has a utility IEBUPDTE).

So, if you haven't found somebody to read this thing yet, feel free to
contact me.

JRJ