Branching the thread away from Compaq deskpro boards: "What We Have Lost"

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Sun Aug 1 11:14:34 CDT 2021

On Aug 1, 2021, at 7:10 AM, Liam Proven via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> CP/M is surprisingly alive for something so old and rudimentary and
> seeing some activity, e.g. CPMish, but I don't think anyone would
> claim it has much of a future. CCP/M is dead although I think Toshiba
> just about supports 4680 and 4690.

I have to admit, this one surprises me.

> I'm struggling to think of anything else. There are things but they're
> even more niche than say Haiku. Redox OS? Genode? HelenOS?

OpenVMS 9.2 will run on x86, as does the 9.1FT that’s currently out.  I believe they’ve even had it running on an Atom-based board.

z/OS runs on IBM Mainframes, there is also “IBM i”, which was previously called OS/400.

Last I checked, GCOS-8 is still running, but with Itanium end-of-life, I’m not sure what on.  It’s been a niche market for decades.  I’d argue that it was a serious niche when I was using it in the early 90’s.

Zane