Looking for VAXSET Software Engineering Tools for VMS 4.x

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Wed Apr 21 16:13:21 CDT 2021

Antonio Carlini wrote:

> The oldest working one is the 1989 July CONDIST, which read 99.99% with
> ddrescue. It mounts quite happily and I can see the directory. ANA/DISK
> complains slightly:
> [
> $ ana/disk dua3:
>
> Analyze/Disk_Structure for _VAX072$DUA3: started on 21-APR-2021 21:11:34.25
>
> %ANALDISK-I-SHORTBITMAP, storage bitmap on RVN 1 does not cover the
> entire device
> %ANALDISK-I-OPENQUOTA, error opening QUOTA.SYS
> -SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHFILE, no such file
> ]
>
> There's never a QUOTA.SYS on a CDROM, so that's probably OK. Not sure
> about the SHORTBITMAP (it's been a long time since I used VMS as my
> daily driver and I've not had the chance to try an ISO that was read
> with no errors, nor a real CDROM in a real CDROM drive on a real VAX).

I've just tried ANALYZE/DISK on VAXBINMAY931 which is the oldest I can
put a hand on right now and it gives exactly the same output as you got.

> I plan to include the ISO, a README.TXT that explains that these are all
> incomplete and I'll attach the ddrescue output, a scan of the CD, a
> SHA256 of the files. I'll tar it up and compress with xz.
>
> If anyone would prefer some other format or compression or whatever, I'm
> open to suggestions.

ZIP is probably most commonly used for compressed archives on VMS.  The
version of ZIP that runs on VMS can save VMS file attributes when told to so
that it doesn't lose important attributes for the installation kits like tar
would. (I only came across xz anywhere for the first time about a week ago...)

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.