DEC BA11-K KY11-L mounting brackets -- how?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sun Apr 18 21:40:42 CDT 2021

    > From: Fritz Mueller

    > I'm reassembling an PDP-11/34 in a BA11-K chassis right now, and am a
    > little puzzled by the front mounting brackets (the ones that hold a
    > KY11-L of either sort on the bottom, and a half trim-panel on the top).
    > In particular, on the bottom half, the available place for screws to go
    > to attach the bracket to the chassis is nearly completely blinded by an
    > overhanging tab.
    > ..
    > Anybody have an 11/34 in a BA11-K and care to take a peek and tell me
    > how the hardware here is properly configured?

Well, I have an KY11-LA mounted on a BA11-K; the KY11-LA and -LB use the
same bezel, and should have identical hardware.

There's an intermediate 10" or so high adapter piece (one either side, of
course) mounted to the KY11-L. (That's attached to the KY11-L with short
machine screws which are inserted from the rear, and go into tapped holes in
the KY11-L bezel.) That piece attaches to the BA11-K with different hardware
at the top and bottom: on the bottom, a single 1" or so machine screw (#8, I
think) goes through the vertical tab on the side at the front of the BA11, to
a tapped hole in the adapter piece. At the top, a pair of short countersunk
machine screws (#10, I think - definitely larger than the 1" machine screw at
the bottom) attach a pair (one each side) of those black plastic mounting
widgets which have a pair of balls on stalks; those go into holes on the back
of the blank panels, and those screw also hold the adapter piece to the
BA11-L at the top. (I looked for the DEC formal name for those pieces, but
couldn't find it.)

    > I'll get some pictures of the brackets I have, too -- maybe they aren't
    > the standard/correct ones for an 11/34...

I'll take a look. I'm too burned out (COVID long haul) at the moment to take
pictures or do a drawing right at the moment; if needed, I can do it tomorrow
(or so).

	Noel

PS: A while back you were after measurements on the KY11-L power knob;
did you ever get those: If not, I've got one, and can measure it.