Looking for VAXSET Software Engineering Tools for VMS 4.x

Malte Dehling mdehling at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 14:29:29 CDT 2021

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 11:35:41AM -0700, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
> On 4/17/21 11:30 AM, Antonio Carlini via cctalk wrote:
>
> > So far I've just tried using dd to recover the data but perhaps I should
> > try to find something that won't give up when the OS reports an
> > unreadable sector. Anyone have any suggestions?
>

> ddrescue

I agree with the suggestion.  I think it's worth trying this before
anything else.  If anything can be read without further work, ddrescue
should do the trick.  Of course it helps to test with different drives,
too, like you already did.

Sorry this turned into more work than expected, and thanks again for
your effort!

--
Malte Dehling
<mdehling at gmail.com>