Lisa Source Code

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Apr 8 10:34:58 CDT 2021

On 4/8/21 12:23 AM, Eric Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 2:33 PM Chuck Guzis via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org <mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>> wrote:
>
>     Okay, I've got a WORM disc here--how do they propose to archive that?
>     (recall that unwritten sectors can't be read).

There's a big difference--in a WORM, unwritten sectors *mean* something.
  Recall that you can't ever re-write or erase data.   The read/write
filesystems are "interesting" and use the presence or absence of data as
part of the picture.

Just unraveled one such filesystem--it's interesting.  You never lose
information.

Consider that, on a sector basis, there are three possibilities for the
value of a bit.

--Chuck