Remote job submission from PDP-11

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 19:48:26 CDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 3:39 PM Noel Chiappa via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>     > From: Ethan Dicks
>
>     > a DEC sync serial board since that part is nowhere to be found right
>     > now.
>
> I dunno, I see them fairly often on eBait (well, often compared to some other
> things, e.g. TU56 parts... :-)

"Part" in this case is "part of the whole", not "computer part"...

The part that is missing in that paragraph is code for Simh that
emulates a DEC sync serial board.

Real DEC sync serial boards aren't that hard to find because almost
nobody has a use for them.

> QBUS or UNIBUS? And there are lots of different ones, which I confess I don't
> fully understand the difference between (e.g. DP11, DQ11, DU11, DUP11, DV11) -
> some of it's single-line/multi-line, and DMA/programmed I/O, but from what few
> details I looked at - while doing:

Yes.  There are many varieties, both Unibus and Qbus.  They have
different serial chips and different host-bus register sets, which is
why I said first one needs to identify which application is to be
used, _then_ choose which board to emulate (or purchase for real
hardware).

> there are also differences in exactly which protocools are supported,
> etc, etc, etc, etc.

Yes.  It all matters.

This stuff used to be hard.  People used to give us $25,000 to solve
the problem.

-ethan