Remote job submission from PDP-11

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 16:03:34 CDT 2020

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 4:49 PM Al Kossow via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> On 10/7/20 1:39 PM, Ethan Dicks via cctalk wrote:
>
> > Synchronous serial lines are not typically a feature in the sort of
> > machines people are likely to be running something like Simh on,
> > especially laptops.  I'm sure there were Sync serial cards for ISA but
> > probably not anything more recent.
>
> you could get PCI V.35 cards
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Barr-Systems-291456-Sync-Max-PCI-Rev-1-Card/264317672165

I was not aware of this unit.  Thanks for the pointer.

> probably for SNA

Looks like it has a variety of targets.  That Zilog 16C32 is a real
kitchen-sink serial chip, way more complicated than the Z8530.

It is definitely way more advanced than the stuff I was working with
from the mid-70s and early-80s.

Overkill for this task, but definitely capable, depending on what the
PCI end looks like.  The serial chip is fine.  It will do whatever.

-ethan