AUI cables

Richard Cini rich.cini at verizon.net
Tue Nov 17 13:50:51 CST 2020

I built a bulkhead cable for the DEQNA card using a shielded (but untwisted) joystick extension cable. Ultimately, I found the actual bulkhead cable, but mine worked just fine. Granted, it was only 1-foot long, but untwisted probably wouldn't matter for a short length as Paul mentioned.

Rich

On 11/17/20, 2:46 PM, "cctalk on behalf of Paul Koning via cctalk" <cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org on behalf of cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

    > On Nov 17, 2020, at 11:12 AM, Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone have any AUI cables for 10Base5 that they would be willing to sell?
    >
    > I'm looking for a couple of them 1-2 meters long.  I will eventually* need them for my 10Base5 / Thicknet / Hosepipe network segment.
    >
    > In ham radio net style, chat on list, and conduct business directly / off list.
    >
    > *I still haven't found sufficient Round-to-Its to get off my posterior.

    I can see them still for sale as current products.

    One is from Black Box, at an insane price, with actual AUI style (slide lock) connectors.

    There are several others that are much less expensive, with regular screw lock DA-15 connectors.  And of course cables with those connectors are readily available from the usual suspects (I like L-com).

    The question is whether "plain" cables are electrically adequate.  Most likely yes, especially in the short lengths.  They might not be twisted pairs and/or shielded per spec, but if you're only going a meter or two, that's unlikely to matter at 10 Mb/s rates.

    FWIW, there exist adapters from slide latch to screw lock DA-15; I have one I bought from L-com so I could attach a 10BaseT transceiver with slide lock posts to my Pro-380, which has a screw lock DA-15 connector for its Ethernet port.

    	paul