Seagate Elite "reverse surging" noise

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 11:01:40 CST 2020

I picked up a couple of 9GB Seagate Elite SCSI disks the other day (model
410800N, 1995-vintage but 5.25" FH units).

Both drives spin up, both pass r/w tests successfully. On one unit, the
spindle motor sound is constant. On the other, however, it makes a sound
that I can best describe as "reverse surging", where every 5 seconds or
thereabouts there's a very brief lowering in tone before the "normal" sound
resumes.

Anyone familiar with the Elite range know if "some of them just do that",
or if it's likely to be some form of fault (which may only get worse)? I've
never encountered a disk which does this before; my ear's not detecting any
kind of speed increase prior to the decrease (and I don't know if that's
what's really going on or not), but that's what my brain wants to think is
happening. However, if the speed really was fluctuating to the point that I
could hear it then I'm surprised that I'm not getting read/write problems.

cheers

Jules