Microvax 3100 VMS 7.3 password reset

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 12 09:02:45 CST 2020

On 12/11/2020 13:56, Bob Smith via cctalk wrote:
> I have a copy of the process in my stash.... it is findable on the web.
> I used to wear this funny hat, and used the methoo a few times - even
> on my cluster at home.
> It does work.
> bb
>
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 8:13 AM Richard Curtis via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

>> I beg to differ with HP's recommendation (in their doc set) for Devin'ssituation.  HP's description is meant for customer sites to have a copyof usernames/passwords to which they can revert for nasty situationssuch as a corrupted SYSUAF.DAT.  *If* this system has the 'alternate'file, it should have the same problem as the original, of unknownpasswords.  What Devin needs is instructions to break into the system.
>> I happen to know how to do that (used to work in OpenVMS Engineering).Is that something that should be discussed here?
>> Thanks,Dick

"breaking in if you have physical console access" is not at all secret:
it used to be in the OpenVMS FAQ and (iirc) in the manuals. It's fine to
discuss it anywhere. VMS Engineering would have told you to make sure
you ensured that physical console access was only available  to
authorised personnel.

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini