R: R: Floppy disk: one drive per face

Enrico email.it enrico.lazzerini at email.it
Fri Nov 6 15:19:57 CST 2020

First of all I would like to thank you all for every suggestion that comes
from so much experience. I only know my Ferguson bigboard 1 pretty well

The z80 based machine was called GENERAL PROCESSOR Model T year 1981.
You can see it here: https://www.vintagesbc.it/?page_id=877 and the cards it
was equipped with here: https://www.vintagesbc.it/?page_id=879 even if it is
old information because I, together with a competent hardware technician and
another enthusiast who has already written an emulator HERE:
https://nippur72.github.io/gpmodelt-emu/ (you have to press CR to start then
BD and enter ...)
and the emulator video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRmmUYkaDxs&feature=youtu.be we are
proceeding to derive electrical schematics, save firmware, software, and try
to reconstruct and document everything.
You have to think that they used a WD1791 which has an inverted data bus and
in the firmware they use CPL instruction to invert it again so on the disk
the CP / M  (CCP + BDOS + bios) is written all INVERTed.

Based on the firmware on eprom configuration it could manage:
- 2 drives 8 "(128x26x77) or 5" (128x18 (maybe 16) x40) all in FM and seen
as A, b, c, d
- 1 8 "DSDD single B unit and 1 HD 10MB Winchester drive (divided into 2
halves A and C)

At the beginning the engineers made ibm 3740 in side A. Only after they
passed to make a drive double face so we think they didn't change things
also because it seems to be possible to boot from both side A and side B and
we expect the side B of drive A it would in IBM 3740 format.

We noticed that the sectors always start from ZERO and not from 1 so it is
interesting what you say: “you really should try unplugging the heads of the
drive and swapping them. That will put "side A / 0" on the second / B side
of the disk.! "

Enrico