R: Floppy disk: one drive per face

Enrico email.it enrico.lazzerini at email.it
Thu Nov 5 16:42:03 CST 2020

About 5,25" diskettes it seems that its geometry could be based on 128byte
for sector so using FM recording way and 40 tracks for side it could have 18
sectors for track. If I try to format in this way a disk with 22disk program
I instead get 16 sectors for track. Having doubt on this we gone back to
look better on 8" diskettes to look deep about the way on which the b side
could be read. We can image that on 1980 they written before a way to record
just on one side of the diskettes and then they added double face diskettes
handling them as two separate drives (leaving the same sel 0 pin but
changing the side select pin to 1), so: why would have they rewrite all
instead of to replicate the same what already way made well on the first
side diskettes?

Enrico