Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu May 28 14:11:11 CDT 2020

On Thu, 28 May 2020, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:

> I guess I am realising that CP/M was a much bigger deal there than here.

CP/M was huge in the US, especially among the S-100 system users.  It was
a pretty narrow window though - from probably 1978-1982.  Kaypro had a
good portion of the market as well, but like pretty much all the other
manufacturers of CP/M machines, the IBM PC compatible juggernaut beat them
cold before they fully understood the fight.  I'm not aware of any CP/M
machine manufacturer that was able to successfully transition to the PC
compatible market.  Some (like Kaypro) tried with offerings like the
Kaypro 16 and Kaypro 2000, but I suspect at that point it was too little,
too late.  They simply couldn't compete with the uber cheap hardware
coming in from overseas.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007