Algol W [was: Microsoft open sources GWBASIC]

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Thu May 28 08:49:10 CDT 2020

On 2020-05-28 12:01 AM, ben via cctalk wrote:
> On 5/27/2020 8:43 PM, Toby Thain via cctalk wrote:
>
>>> At the moment I have no wish to fight a web site,to find what should be
>>> simple information.
>>
>> It's a picture. They can be useful.
>
> That is why clicking with my mouse did nothing.
> I like if eif else fi  for if statements.
> What keyboard are you using to get the fancy arrows?
> Ben.

The source code is ASCII; the arrows are ligatures in the Fira Code
typeface.

Arrows were also a typographic convention in many books, e.g.

* Hundreds of textbooks using Pascal-ish pseudocode
* the Smalltalk-80 books
* Knuth's literate programs

And many languages define -> and <- tokens, even =>

So it does seem to be a thing people like to see.

--Toby