history is hard

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Mon May 25 03:49:08 CDT 2020

Early on there was CP/47 and CP/67 which ran on the 360/47 and 360/67 respectively.
In these systems the end user operating system, CMS, would also IPL (load) on bare hardware.
Modern CMS won't do this. It needs some CP services to run.

I would disagree with Peter over the "same under the covers".
VM/370 on early 370 Hardware was a pure software hypervisor.
With 370 hardware the Hypervisor (CP)  is able to hide the CPU's privileged or supervisor state from the machine in the VM.
All attempts to read this state result in a Privileged Exception. CP runs all VM's in user mode. When a VM switches to supervisor state CP merely makes a note in a control block.
The VM still runs in user mode, and CP has to simulate any privilege mode instructions it executes.

As time progressed "Hardware Assists" were added so that the microcode performed some of the functions formally carried out in CP.
When running a "real" OS such as MVS which spends a lot of time in supervisor state, this generates a lot of CPU overhead.
The assists help by allowing a guest to execute some privileged instructions without involving CP and reducing any CPU overhead.

However, from XA onwards this approach is not possible. In 370/XA mode the machine state can be read by non-privileged programs.
IBM also provided a new microcode instruction Start Interpretive Execution (SIE) which allows CP to run Virtual Machines with much less overhead.
Whilst I believe much of what SIE does evolved from the assists, to me it’s a fundamentally different way of running the machine.
Virtualization is now delivered by the Microcode not the Hypervisor..

> Regards,
> Peter Coghlan.

Dave