Alternative Monitor for VAXmate

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Sun May 24 04:27:59 CDT 2020

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 9:23 AM Rob Jarratt <robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Tony, are you aware of any device I could buy or circuit I could build to get a decent image out of it? It doesn't have to be perfect, but at least usable.

Unfortunately not. That 26kHz horizontal frequency is the problem...

It's not close to any of the PC standards (MDA, CGA, EGA, VGA). Nor
television (I even thought of the French System E 819 line, but that's
around 20kHz). And those are the common standards.

I think you options are either to try to modify VGA monitor to scan a
little slower, to design some kind of standards converter (which is a
lot of work!) or to make a new flyback transformer. The last would be
what I would look into, if only because it keeps the machine original.
You would probably have to vacuum-impregnate the windings to prevent
flashover, but the model internal combustion engine crowd make their
own ignition coils and manage to do things like that.

-tony