Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sat May 23 15:24:01 CDT 2020

On Sat, 23 May 2020, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> It is pretty much the *same* BASIC in the PET, VIC-20 and C64. It got
> trivial adjustments for the hardware, but bear in mind: the PET had no
> graphics,

PETSCII/PETASCII character graphics were almost as good as TRS80 character
graphics!    :-)
https://i2.wp.com/www.the8bitguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Commodore-History-Part-1-The-Pet-0011-PETSCII.png

> • the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, which was cheaper & had a crappy keyboard,
That was a keyboard??
I thought that it was just a picture of a keyboard glued on, as a
suggestion of a possible accessory to purchase.   :-)
Besides, the bottom of the door scrapes it.

> keeping obsolete versions of these vast monolithic OSes (which nobody
> fully understands any more) maintained and patched for 5, 10, even 15
> or so years after release.

BUT, if any ever achieve stability, support is discontinued, to try
to force purchase of a newer, even less reliable one.
I happen to be fanatic about continuing to use software as long as the
hardware that it needs still exists.
For example, on dedicated machines that are not exposed to "outside", why
would I replace the OS, AND THEN HAVE TO replace the programs that those
machines are dedicated for? (example: Vaio TR3 running XP and ANYDVD,
Lenovo Thinkpad running Windoze7 and Handbrake)  I do not CURRENTLY see
any advantage to planned obsolescence.

> Which is the business I work in.
> Yay.

> CBM apparently still had no real clue _why_ the C64 was a massive hit,
> or who was buying it, or why.

I was tempted to get one of Jeri Ellsworth's knock-offs.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com