Odd punched cards

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Sat May 9 12:03:57 CDT 2020

If I said 'EPT' anywhere I apologize; I'm talking about PPT (Punched Paper Tape) and EPCs (Edge Punched Cards).

Here's a description of a series 'L' system, the successor to the 'E' series, containing

"The reader could be used for loading programs faster.  It could also be used for accessing user data from punched paper tape or from edge-punched cards."

http://www.picklesnet.com/burroughs/descriptions/bltc.htm

And pictures of the PPT/EPC perforator and reader (unfortunately the perf picture seems to link to the reader so you don't get a full-sized picture) :

http://www.picklesnet.com/burroughs/gallery/bpgltc.htm-

A great (downloadable) book full of pictures and specifications of computers of that era is "A Third Survey of Domestic Electronic Digital Computing Systems" (one of a series):

https://books.google.ca/books?id=fZg8yAEACAAJ&dq=a+third+survey&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwipiMiBlafpAhWjm-AKHQqcBhAQ6AEINTAC

See P.179 for a well tricked out E101.

Unfortunately people tend to dismiss this class of systems as 'only' accounting machines, largely because of their integrated keyboards and printer carriages based on the earlier electro-mechanical machines for operator  familiarity, so there's little information and discussion about them.

But they are definitely 'true' computers using the same technology as contemporary general-purpose systems, core memory, disk drives, etc., and as technology advanced IC memory, high-speed dot-matrix printers etc., and, in the latest models, multiple high-speed cassette drive systems used the same way as the big brother tape drives and almost as much fun to watch in action.

Sorry for going a little OT; I'll do some digging for those cards...

mike