paper tape reader EECO "The Director"

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu May 7 18:51:11 CDT 2020

> On May 7, 2020, at 6:37 PM, Steve Malikoff via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I made up an output hopper from a sheet of cardboard, some pieces of corflute, three
> pieces of 30x10x220mm wood and a piece of perspex on the front so I could check the
> tape was fanfolding correctly. This has a hole at the top and hangs on the spindle, the
> reader is placed on the edge of the bench so the hopper can hang below it.

I remember an output hopper for collecting paper tape as it came through a high speed (1000 cps optical) reader, at U. Eindhoven, THE system.  I think the hopper was simply a large bucket, essentially a large trash can.  When the tape was finished the operator would put the end into a tape winder and wind it back up from the bucket.  This seemed to work well; it was done for hundreds of tapes per day -- this was a batch system with paper tape input for programs and data.

	paul