DIY Paper Tape Punch - Mechanism diagram?

Anders Nelson anders.k.nelson at gmail.com
Fri May 1 10:48:15 CDT 2020

Wow, what a response! Really appreciate the docs and first-hand experience,
this is super helpful.

I'm also floored by the complexity of that Roytron punch! Looks like it
contains around one hundred separate parts. I'm convinced the punch parts
will have to be precision metal so while that's not quite "DIY" it might
still be a reasonable bit to CNC, mill or water-jet cut.

It also looks like that punch has an escapement mechanism of some sort?
Seems like a simple way to keep regular spacing, but if course more parts
to buy from McMaster Carr or whatever.

Question: did all tapes have indexing holes separate from the drive
sprocket holes? Also is there a source for tape with sprocket holes anymore?

I also like the idea of using a LASER cutter and a rotating platform like
they use to engrave drinking glasses. Add a light vacuum nozzle under the
tape past the cutting surface to suck up the chads, and perhaps make the
cutting surface wheel with of rows of thin plates as the cutting surface,
similar to the thin honeycomb cutting beds of typical LASER cutters. I
imagine it'd take an awfully long time to use a traditional core XY cutter
versus a galvo-mirror cutter.

I have some experience cutting planar items in LASER cutters but little
experience beyond basic principles regarding machining/modeling/rotating
LASER stuff.