REL APL-11

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Mar 31 07:36:08 CDT 2020

> On Mar 30, 2020, at 6:32 PM, Bill Gunshannon via cctech <cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 3/30/20 3:21 PM, Mark Matlock via cctech wrote:
>> Bill,
>>    The APL-11 files on DECUS RSX85A are not a complete distribution but a modified version that was intended to run under I/D on M+.
>>     I have the APL-11 V2.1 source files on a RL02 disk image. I will make it available at http://www.rsx11m.com/apl11.zip
>>     Once you mount the disk image with Simh, the are two ready to run task images that will run under RSX11M or M+
>> In [201,200]APL6OK.TSK and APL7OK.TSK that are the REAL*4 and REAL*8 versions of APL-11. On the disk are the
>> Original .MAC sources as well as files from a RSX SIG tape that modified APL-11 for I/D under RSX11M+ that increased
>> The workspace (.BXWA from ~30000 to ~60000 bytes). It also contains a character set for Vt220 for the APL character set.
>>    When you install the APL task experiment with the /INC to maximize the available workspace, On my system, I can
>> INS APL6.TSK/INC=37000 to max the workspace for the single precision version.
>>    Also, the scanned APL-11 reference manual can be downloaded at http://www.rsx11m.com/APL-11-Ref-Man.pdf
>>  and the APL11 installation guide at http://www.rsx11m.com/APL11ins.pdf
>>    The RSX SIG files that have the info to change APL-11 to an I/D RSX11M+ task from RSX85A are also at [370,360] on the RL02 disk. I remember having this work back in the mid-1980s but I have not been able to get it to work today. If I link it with ODT it seems to blow up when the first overlay is loaded. If anyone could help with that I’d really appreciate it!
>
> According to the Ref Manual, that's the one I was looking for.
> Now to mount the RL on RSTS and see what it takes to build it
> there.  I'll let the list know how I make out in case someone
> else is interested.
>
> bill

Please let me know if I can help.  I haven't done a whole lot of work with RSX origin applications on RSTS but from what I know the process should in general be straightforward.  I don't think it's quite as easy as just running the .tsk file (different RMS image) but reassembly and re-TKB with the existing control files feels like it should be successful.

	paul