Fortran (Was Re: PDP-8 Straight 8 restoration) (Resubmitting without attachment)

Nigel Johnson nw.johnson at ieee.org
Mon Mar 30 12:26:11 CDT 2020

Since we are all at home exchanging stories, I thought I would regale
you with my best punch card one:

My first job out of school was at Bell Canada in  Downtown Toronto.

I was trained as an FE on their Univac 418 II systems that ran a
Canada-wide store-and-forward MSDS - Message Switching Data Service
(MSDS - means something else now!)  I also got trained on the PDP11,
then PDP8, and Interdata 50.

The year was 1972 or '73 I think.

Since there was very little operating to do with a real-time system, we
didn't have operators and did all the operating ourselves.  One system
ran H23 (it had to be shutdown for maintenance over midnight because the
system would crash if the time went backwards after midnight), the
other, use by stockbrokers and the T. Eaton Company started at 0600 and
was turned down at 2100.

Being critical real time (after all, it fed about a thousand 110 baud
teletypes across Canada :-) ) it would crash sometimes due to racing
conditions that had not been forecast.  Instead of re-assembling the
system (about four hours), the programmers would issue us with PARLO
(PARameter LOader) cards to make patches after we loaded the enterprise
code and before we started it.  This fixed the bugs by binary changes.

One morning, I was on duty as the 0600 system crashed immediately after
I started it.  As trained, I switched all the peripherals over to the
backup machine and loaded the program on there, carrying the PARLO cards
over and running them before I started that system. Same crash happened,
while the panic dump was still running between the first computer and
the Uniservo VI C.

Lots more attempts happened, including running heavy cables across the
floor to patch in spares that were not on the transfer switch, until
first, second, and finally third level managers were standing behind me
as I tried new things.  "A 20-year old does not need this kind of
stress", I thought!

Upper management wanted to 'get somebody else' to work the computer by
my boss told me to stand fast.  Suddenly, I had an idea.  We had an old
IBM 028 punch sitting at the back of the room.

"Go and copy these PARLO cards" I said to the programmer.  She scowled
at being told what to do by this young kid, especially since she was
management and I was not. But as nobody had any better ideas the
managers told her to do it.

Thankfully, my idea that the PARLO cards were worn thin so that the
photo readers could see holes where there were not, was accurate. The
028 used fingers to feel for the holes and so made a perfect copy!

After that they instituted a policy of changing the PARLO cards or
re-assembling on a regular basis!

The attachment is a picture of where this happened.

cheers,

Nigel Johnson

--
Nigel Johnson
MSc., MIEEE

Amateur Radio, the origin of the open-source concept!

You can reach me by voice on Skype:  TILBURY2591

If time travel ever will be possible, it already is. Ask me again yesterday

This e-mail is not and cannot, by its nature, be confidential. En route from me to you, it will pass across the public Internet, easily readable by any number of system administrators along the way.
     Nigel Johnson <nw.johnson at ieee.org>

      Please consider the environment when deciding if you really need to print this message