HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program is closing

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org
Sat Mar 14 02:15:57 CDT 2020

On 3/13/2020 10:30 PM, Tapley, Mark B. via cctalk wrote:
>> On Mar 10, 2020, at 7:59 PM, John H. Reinhardt via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> [EXTERNAL EMAIL]
>>
>> On 3/10/2020 1:17 PM, Tomasz Rola via cctalk wrote:
>>> I really liked the idea of running VMS on simh (and learning some more
>>> skills), even if I had to register online. But when I looked, it
>>> seemed I would have to make Polish users group first, became its only
>>> member and president (hehe) and only then register... Holy Schwartz,
>>> they tried to drag me on the dark side, but I resisted.
>>>
>> Nope. All you have to do is go to eisner.decuserve.org and register (follow my earlier instructions).  They don't care what country you are from. All are welcome.  Do it now and get your OpenVMS Hobbyist license(s) that will last until the end of 2021 at least.
>>
>> --
>> John H. Reinhardt
> Was already registered, and got my current PAK text file yesterday (2 day turnaround, not bad).
> Where’s the best set of current instructions to install from CD? I think I have actual Hobbyist CDs.
> I want to install on my 3 capable machines:
>
> VaxStation VLC
> AlphaStation 300
> AlphaServer 2100 4/275
>
> Thanks in advance!

Philip Wherry's notes are still one of the best out on the net.  Just ignore the SimH portions. <https://www.wherry.com/gadgets/retrocomputing/vax-simh.html>

Since HPE nuked it's OpenVMS documentation site it's harder to find actual OpenVMS documents online but SUNY has a V7.3 site with most available.

<https://www.itec.suny.edu/scsys/vms/OVMSDOC073/index.html>

V7.3 Install guide for VAX in HTML <https://www.itec.suny.edu/scsys/vms/OVMSDOC073/v73/6630/6630PRO.HTML> and PDF <https://www.itec.suny.edu/scsys/vms/OVMSDOC073/v73/documentation/pdf/OVMS_73_VAX_INSTALL.PDF>

And for Alpha in HTML <https://www.itec.suny.edu/scsys/vms/OVMSDOC073/v73/6629/6629PRO.HTML> and PDF <https://www.itec.suny.edu/scsys/vms/OVMSDOC073/v73/documentation/pdf/OVMS_73_alpha_install.PDF>

--
John H. Reinhardt