HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program is closing

Alexander Schreiber als at thangorodrim.ch
Thu Mar 12 16:11:31 CDT 2020

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 08:08:43AM -0700, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:

> > Years ago us SGI hobbyists were able to talk to SGI about this and a huge problem SGI had with any kind of hobbyist
> > license for IRIX or turning it free is it's fully of licensed 3rd party stuff. But maybe now that's it's expired, or all
> > the companies things were licensed from are gone.
>
> Release of Classic HP3000 died for the same reason from the same company.
>
> HP has no motivation to spend time/money to release this. Also, the only way CHM
> was able to release what we did (HP1000, 68K 9000 and Apollo) was having
> us release it only for non-commercial research/hobby purposes.

Which would be great - anyone still running OpenVMS on VAX for business
purposes presumably has the appropriate (non-expiring) licenses anyway.

So having OpenVMS VAX (and maybe even Alpha) released with an
eternal hobbyist license (strictly non-commercial research/hobby
purposes) would not only be a great win, but all we can really ask
for.

Kind regards,
           Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison