HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program is closing

Michael Kerpan mjkerpan at kerpan.com
Wed Mar 11 19:52:39 CDT 2020

The PDP-11 and VAX versions of BSD have been freely available for years. As
soon as V7 and 32V were declared open source, that meant that everybody had
a valid Unix source license and were therefore eligible to download the
BSDs. IIRC, Novell or Lucent or whoever owns the copyright these days also
released whatever bits of V8-V10 could be dug up under a hobbyist license,
but unlike V7 and earlier, it's not actually open source. I'd love to see
System V similarly made available, but frankly BSD has more toys to play
with anyway.

Mike