DZ11 EIA dist panel on eBait

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 11:19:56 CDT 2020

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 5:15 PM ed--- via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> >> Connecting a DZ11 directly to the pcb with the connectors won't work directly as expected.
> >
> > Why not? I've linked up DZ11s to the distribution panel PCB with a
> > straight ribbon cable and had no problems.
> >
> > The RFI filters effectively swap odd and even pins in the cable (the
> > pins are straight through the filter but of course you look at them
> > from opposite sides). That's why the short ribbon cables between the
> > filters and the distribution panel are not straight through but have
> > crossover connections.. But if you remove both the filter and the
> > crossover cable it will work as you expect.
> >
> > -tony
>
> Ah, I did not know that, interesting to know.

I suspect the filters were a later addition. The original idea was to
just connect the DZ11 PCB to the distribution PCB with a
straight-through cable. But the filters had to be added to meet some
interference regulations (is that fcc part 15??), the filters swapped
the pins over, hence the special crossover cables between the filters
and the distribution PCB. Had the filters been part of the original
design then either they would have been on the distribution PCB or the
PCBs would have been designed so that all cables were straight (in
which case it would not have worked without the filters.

-tony