On: raising the semantic level of a program

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Jun 29 20:01:15 CDT 2020

On 6/29/20 12:41 PM, Rich Alderson via cctalk wrote:
> [...]

My point being that implicit "byte" addressability isn't essential if
there are no instructions that can take advantage of it.  The PDP-10
does have halfword instructions and although they're called "byte"
instructions, are what I'd call "bit field" instructions (LDB, DPB,
etc.)--but nothing that would implicitly be called a "byte".

Whereas, on say, S/360, an 8-bit byte is intrinsic to the hardware and
so defines addressing granularity.

Character sets on other systems can be wildly variable; consider WPS-8,
for example.

You do what works--and the lack of byte granularity is no particular
hindrance.

--Chuck