RSTS/E has just had its 50th Birthday...

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Jun 28 18:16:19 CDT 2020

> On Jun 28, 2020, at 5:08 PM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Paul Koning
>
>> RSTS/E of course has a bunch of new stuff in it to deal with mapping,
>> but the bulk of the code carries over from RSTS-11.
>
> I was assuming that the basic intermal environment was sufficiently different
> that not a lot of the OS-level code could carry over, but I guess not.
>
> DId you actually work on RSTS-11 internals (I don't know your exact dates at
> DEC), or did you just read the source?

Mostly I read the source, starting in university where we were running RSTS-11.  I started working on it at DEC in the V7.0 era, for DECnet V2.0.

> And speaking of which, are any RSTS-11 sources still extant? I found the RSTS
> directory on BitSavers, but it seems to have only manuals.

I don't remember if any of the material in bits/pdp11/rsts on Bitsavers is RSTS-11.  There is the material from PDP-10 tapes that was discussed here in the past year, which I identified as very early RSTS sources.  I don't know yet if they are complete enough to run, that would be an interesting experiment.

FWIW, there's a RSTS/E V10.1 source master copy (including DECnet/E and build control files) among the Bitsavers materials.

	paul