Changing the number of file headers on an RSX volume

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Wed Jun 24 12:37:47 CDT 2020

I did get an answer from Johnny B, and it makes sense why I couldn't
figure it out: In order to increase the file handles significantly you
have to either dismount with "dmo du0:/dev/lock=v" to lock tasks in
memory then mount foreign and back it up or just put BRU64K on an RX01
floppy with VMRV48 and boot from that.

Then after the volume is backed up to tape you clobber it by using BRU
to restore it and set the /MXF parameter on that line. Otherwise BRU
keeps the same value for MXF and the files limit is still there.

The neat part (and why I couldn't remember) is I used to use DSC to back
up my RL02's and RM02's to other RL/RM disk packs. DSC did a pretty much
image copy while BRU actually creates a new file system and then copies
the files and the boot information. I didn't use BRU at the time because
I didn't have a tape drive.

Modern technology marches on. I'm waiting on a pair of TK50 tapes to
arrive from TrashBay, once I have those checked out I'll do the backup
and restore and get myself back in business.

* Dismounting the system volume on RSX11 is tricky. You can just
dismount it, but then the system will lock you out of installed tasks
and you'll be dead in the water. The /dev/lock=v holds the tasks in
memory so you can still run your tools with the disk dismounted.

A quick way to do this is to bring up the system, then shutdown and when
you get to ODT type P to proceed. The system will come up with the shell
but no volumes.

Using HOM can increase the number of files or directories but only up to
a point. Also with home you need to first set the device to private
(only do-able when you do the shutdown and resume with P trick) then
allocate the disk, then mount it foreign.

It's never dull in pdp11 world.

CZ