PDP-11 tape question

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Tue Jun 23 21:09:14 CDT 2020

We had a 12.5 IPS drive on a Microdata 1600.  Once you gave the "go"
command to the controller, you could actually drive it with byte / byte
programmed I/O.  We had to enforce the blocksize on tapes which went
anywhere else.  But we could write from one byte to an entire tape as a
single record.  The latter would (at the time we first did it) crash the
campus 360/50 by the way.

But we enforced 14 bytes as the minimum.

We had a fellow who did his masters project implement a formal library
to write 100% compatible tapes with different organizations, and all
labels, etc.  I don't recall any record shorter than 14 bytes if any
there either.  Of course labels were 80 bytes.

Main comment here is 14 bytes seems okay.
Thanks
Jim

Short story of crashing the 360 MVT system.  We had IBM reels we reused
which IBM used for patches called DTRs.  they had 50 or 100' max length
tape.  We had a guy muck up a program to send a file off our system to
the mainframe, and he forgot to break up the file into records.  So he
ended up with an entire tape with one big physical record.

what happened was our code didn't  properly terminate, so when the IBM
job was run with the tape as input it read the entire tape and got a
tape error.  then printed a spew on the console.  repeat 10 times.

Problem, tape drive and console was on the same channel.  With normal
size records even up to 64k long the tape didn't busy the channel up for
very long.

Second part of problem, if you busy out the channel to the console(s) on
MVT when the buffers fill, the system crashes.  So with the tape
retrying and spewing messages along with other crap onto the console
from other operations, cratered the system in about 30 seconds.

Console by the way was a KSR 1052, similar to the 2741 Selectric
terminals, but faster.