Malfunctioning VT240 - help please

Charles charlesmorris800 at centurytel.net
Sun Jun 21 17:07:58 CDT 2020

On 6/21/20 10:41 AM, Jon Elson wrote:

>>> Cut the leads close to the body.  Apply a soldering iron to each
>>> lead, and pull the lead out with tweezers,
>>> simultaneously heating and pulling.  This is very gentle to the
>>> board, just doing one at a time.  Then, you can vacuum out the holes
>>> and install a new chip or socket.
>>>
>>> I've done this many times, and never wrecked a board.
>>>
>>> Jon
>>>
>> That's how I do it... the vacuuming is the problem. Someday I need to
>> get a good vacuum desoldering station. Right now I just have a
>> spring-loaded solder sucker (which I can do a pretty decent job with
>> on most boards). But this high-density layout (2 traces between DIP
>> pads) I'm a bit wary of.
>>
> Just be gentle, and you should be able to do it.  Also, in some cases,
> you might heat from the opposite side from the solder sucker.  That
> way, you can keep the soldering iron on the pad until you have
> triggered the sucker.  But, yes, the hollow soldering iron with
> powered vacuum is amazing the first time you try it.  I got one at an
> auction years ago, it is much better than the regular iron and
> plunger-sucker.
>
> Jon

The small company I first worked for had a Pace unit. I remember not
being impressed with it - frequent clogs, pads lifting, and not getting
all the solder out, no matter how we set things. Still beat solder-wick
though!

I got it done, but pin 16 (which connects directly to the internal-layer
ground plane) was a bear. From the feel of it and the heat required, the
draftsman didn't bother to make pad reliefs. Anyway it's now socketed,
so of course it will never fail again!

I also made a small jumper on a 15-pin D-sub to connect Monitor Present
L to ground, so that annoying "Monitor Error 9" message stops ;) On to
the next project!