Farewell Etaoin Shrdlu

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 14:25:55 CDT 2020

https://archive.org/details/FarewellEtaoinShrdlu

 28min documentary on the last ever edition of the NY Times to be
printed using hot metal -- before they switched to what are now a
quite choice assortment of late-'70s minicomputers. I think I spotted
a PDP, a Data General and some IBM device, but I am no expert in this
era.

As a veteran reader of Fredric Brown, especially "the Enchanted
Linotype", I have been using ETAOIN SHRDLU to win at Hangman for many
years... but I'd never seen one working before. It all still seems
like magic to me. I've worked in the magazine industry so I should
know more about this stuff, but I never worked at the repro end of
things...

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com