Unknown Intel blinkenlight panel circa 1973

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Jun 15 00:33:08 CDT 2020

On 6/14/20 8:41 PM, dwight via cctalk wrote:
> I can see why I was having problems. The picture was upside down. It
> looked like Spanish or something. Do remember that Intel's claim to
> fame wasn't just micro processor. They were one of the first to do
> MOS RAMs for big machines. They were more into solid state memory
> systems than uPs, until after the 8080. It clearly isn't for some
> 4004 or 8008. It was likely monitoring some RAM for some mini.

Intel Memory Systems Division was largely responsible for saving Intel's
bacon in the early 1970s.  The MPU business with the 8008 and  4004
wasn't a moneymaker initially.

However, selling DRAM assemblies for various minis (e.g. DG and DEC) as
well as S/370 add-on memory amounted to a large portion of their early
sales.   IMSD was on the far end of Mathilda in Sunnyvale.

Have a look at section 7 here:

https://johncargin.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/intel-catalog-1973.pdf

--Chuck