OpenVMS Community License

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org
Tue Jul 28 21:05:19 CDT 2020

On 7/28/2020 1:11 PM, Camiel Vanderhoeven wrote:
>> On Jul 28, 2020, at 7:47 PM, John H. Reinhardt via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org <mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>> wrote:
>> The question that will be answered when someone gets the VSI CLP PAKs is will those PAKS work on an older version of OpenVMS?  The Hobbyist PAKs produced by Compaq and HP have always worked on current and older versions.  Is there something in the License Manager code that could limit it? The Hobbyist PAKS I have been getting for years all list DEC as the Producer even through the Compaq and HP years.  I suppose VSI could have engineered OpenVMS and/or the PAKS with VSI as the Producer which would probably limit them to working on VSI versions of OpenVMS.
>
> No need to wait for that; I can answer that question right away; VSI's been selling licenses for a while now. Yes, they have a different PRODUCER, so they will not work with older (non-VSI) versions.

That's pretty much what I expected.  This also means that anyone wanting to run OpenVMS AXP V1.x, 6.x, 7.x and 8.3 or 8.4 is dead in the water after Dec 31st 2020.  Not sure why you would want to, but I'd wager there is always someone that would.

It also means that HPe *could* issue non-expiring PAKS with the DEC producer which would not impinge on VSI's ability to create AXP, IA64 PAKS for profit.

--
John H. Reinhardt