Sun E250, NVRAM edit? (Serial Speeds, no console, etc)

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757.org
Tue Jul 21 10:28:16 CDT 2020

>>  In theory console can be set to anything but its usually 9600/8/n/1 as I’m
>>  sure you’ve tried.

Progress last night.

Pulled the NVRAM (STM M48Y59 or something) and threw it in the Needham
EMP-100. Read contents, nothing that looked like any sort of config
really. I noticed on the mainboard there is an Intel TSOP Flash IC so that
might store a bunch.

Saved the contents, wrote all FF's. Checked to see if it retained that (is
the battery dead?) It seemed to for 1 minute. Shoved it in the E250, and
got both graphics console and serial output finally. It again complained
that the NVRAM contents were invalid (same as with the NVRAM IC removed)
but this time I could actually type on the keyboard. Got past it.

Did a factory defaults option on the NVRAM. Then boot kicked it into
Solaris. I will hopefully find a Solaris 5.10 sparc ISO on archive.org and
the last step is to reset root password.

Ethernet won't work until I re-program a MAC address into the NVRAM, but
those instructions exist out there.

I also found on the mainboard there was a set of jumpers labelled RS-232 /
RS-483? 482? Some other odd standard that isn't 485 and 422. It looks like
the were set to the strange one, so I moved them over to 232.

--
: Ethan O'Toole