Unisys MCP (was: Re: UniSys ClearPath OS/2200 Express?)

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Tue Jul 21 07:25:40 CDT 2020

On Thu, Jul 02, 2020 at 01:41:53PM -0700, Alan Perry via cctalk wrote:

> I have never had Windows stop working despite not activating it and have
> gone at least 6 months without doing so. Despite now working for MS, I
> don't know the ins and outs of Windows activation. (I work on embedded
> Linux there.)

The Windows 7 VM I've been using to run MCP Express hasn't stopped working,
but it recently started telling me I need to register to regain full
functionality.  I haven't figured out what functionality has been limited
yet.  Its desktop now has a black background with "Unregistered Version" in
the lower right hand corner.

Has anyone managed to get MCP Express running with Wine on Linux?  I've
heard of people getting OS/2200 Express running under Wine, but it doesn't
have the Windows services MCP Express does.

I might consider registering a copy of Windows to run under VirtualBox if
Microsoft would stop trying to make the user interface look worse with each
new version.  I don't mind Windows 7, but newer versions look absolutely
horrid.  Even the new Office 365 on my Windows 7 PC at work looks terrible.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.