Getting files off a 7300--Mission accomplished

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Sun Jul 19 14:42:11 CDT 2020

Thanks David, and everyone else for helping me with getting these files
off. Starting on Friday I hooked up a serial cable and null modem to my
laptop PC, got getty running, and logged into this 7300 as install.

Escalated to root and went over to his directory. The big problem is the
system did not have kermit but it *did* come with an XModem like program
that I could hook up to with a simple Xmodem protocol on the PC.
Uploaded Kermit, and sure enough it works...

 From there it was a matter of copying the files and . files in his home
directory, then tarring and compressing the big directories. This let me
know just how far we had come: It would take 10+ minutes to compress a
6mb tar file, but when I decompressed it on my Mac Mini it would take
well under a second. We have come a long way...

After moving all the files and directories I patted the computer on the
top of the monitor and said to it "Well Done, though good and faithful
servant" then did a rm -r on the rdd directory. Now I can put it up for
sale and give the money to his mom.

Today I went over to her house with a 40 page folder of some of his
writings. Bob was among other things an amazing author, and the items on
this computer spanned his life from 1986 to about 1993. She was very
happy to see his writings and poems, in a way it gave her a chance to
get to know him again even after all these years....

Now I have a big crate with "Convergent technologies" sitting in my
truck, I'll have to figure that one out next. Also more Perq manuals and
floppy disks.

It's never a dull moment. But it's nice I was able to use my forensics
skills to bring an old friend to life again...

CZ